Table of Contents
- 1 Quantity of Cement, Sand & Water required for Plastering:-
- 1.1 Calculating the quantities of Cement & Sand required for plastering:
- 1.2 Quantity of water required for plastering work:-
Quantity of Cement, Sand & Water required for Plastering:-
In construction point of view, plastering refers to protecting a wall or ceiling by laying a plaster (Cement plaster). Plastering is done to remove surface imperfections caused by brickwork and to keep the surface smooth for painting.
There are many other different types of plastering materials out of them, cement plaster is extensively used. Some other types of plastering materials include lime plaster, clay plaster, etc.
How to select the right plastering material for your house:
In a plastering of building two major factors considered are Surface Protection and economy. If the quality of plastering is increased and taken higher, then economy is affected. If economy is considered and Quality of plaster are taken lesser importance then the surface protection is compromised.
- Plastering material should be cheap and economical.
- It should be durable enough to sustain any climatic changes.
- Plastering material should have excellent workability which can be applied during any weather conditions.
Let us calculate the quantity of cement plaster in this article. Though the same process is applicable for any other types of plastering materials.
Calculating the quantities of Cement & Sand required for plastering:
General points to be remembered in Plastering work calculation
- The ratios mentioned in plastering are volumetric ratios of Cement : Sand
For suppose 1:3 ratio refers to 1 part of cement and 3 parts of sand in a mortar.
- The plastering is usually done in two layers (two coats): The first coat of plastering is laid with the thickness of minimum 12mm (ranges between 12-15mm) and this coat is called as a Rough coat or Primary coat.
- The second coat should be laid with the thickness of 8mm
and this is called as a finish coat or Secondary coat of plastering.
- The overall thickness of plastering should be minimum 20mm if two coats are applied. (First coat + second = 12mm+8mm =20mm)
Different ratios of Cement mortar used for plastering are tabulated below:
|Mix Ratio||Areas of usage|
|1:6 & 1:5||This ratio is usually used for Internal plastering of bricks|
|1:4||Used for Ceiling and external walls|
|1:3||As its a rich mortar mix and it is used where external walls are prone to severe climatic conditions. |
It is also used for repair works.
As we know, the cement has a dry density volume of 1440Kg/m3
Each bag of cement has = 50 kgs
Which means each bag volume is 50/1440 = 0.0348 m3 of cement
The dry density of sand = 1600Kgs/m3
Steps involved in calculation of plastering quantities:
- Find the total area of wall to be plastered in Sqm
- Consider the ratio and thickness of plastering
- Calculate the Total Volume of plastering
- Find out the Volume of Cement and Sand individually for both coats
- Calculate the total volume of cement & Sand
Now coming to the calculation part,
For calculation Assume the wall length and width as 10m x 10m
As mentioned above volume of 1 bag of cement (50kgs) = 0.0348m3
For 0.4m3 = 0.4 x 50 / 0.0348 = 574Kgs = 11.4 ~12 bags
Similarly, for Sand 1m3 = 1600Kgs
1.6 m3 = 1.6×1600 = 2560Kgs = 2.5tonnes
Quantity of water required for plastering work:-
Amount of water to be added in mix depends upon the moisture content present in cement, sand & atmosphere.
Quantity of water = 20% of total dry material (Cement+Sand)
= 20% of (574+2560) = 0.2 x 3134 = 627litres
How many bags of cement are required for 1 square meter of plastering?
If the above mentioned values are considered for this then (Rough estimate)
From above, 100Sqm = 574 Kgs of cement
1 Sqm = 574/100 = 5.7Kgs
Quantity of Cement, Sand & Water required for Plastering. For 100Sqm of Wall, if first & second coat of cement mortar ratio 1:5 & 1:3 laid then
The Quantity of cement required = 574Kgs
Calculated Quantity of Sand (Fine aggregate) required = 2560Kgs
Quantity of Water required = 627 litres
Related Articles :
For Instant updates Join our Whatsapp Broadcast. Save our Whatsapp contact +9700078271 as Civilread and Send us a message “JOIN”
Never Miss an update Click on “Allow US” and make us allow or Click on Red notification bell at bottom right and allow notifications.
Civil Read Wishes you ALL the BEST for your future.